Sunday, December 29, 2013

it's been a bit.

(I don't edit most of these, my thoughts stream and I just type. If that drives you insane, sorry. I need my outlet to be free.)

Where do I begin? The appointment.

I don't think I was ever so angry in this entire process as I was after leaving the hospital. I've been trying to process and formulate my thoughts since then.

When we arrived at the hospital she went in one room with a medical doctor and I went into a room with the therapist. The therapist asked me several questions, that were on the questionnaire but not listening to my explanations. Yes, she has a heart murmur. Yes, there is a history of ED in the family (both sides). Do you want to know who has it and what ED?

In the middle of all of this the medical DR interrupts us and calls her out into the hall. They were gone for about ten minutes. Med DR comes back into the room and sits down next to me, adjusts her chair so she's sitting higher than me, claps her hands together (so loudly I jump) and says, "Well, I'm getting TWO COMPLETELY DIFFERENT STORIES!"

ummm duh. Pretty sure this isn't your first rodeo and that's how this works. We will have two different stories, right?
My mood changed instantly. I had a zero comfort level from then on.
She was contentious, She talked over me. Everything I said, she had an answer for. She asked me questions, but answered them herself. She informed me that She was the professional and our doc and therapist wasn't pros in ED.
She was in and out in less than five minutes.
So far we'd been there a total of thirty minutes and our appointment was almost over. I was originally told to be prepared for about three hours.
Keep in mind ten minutes of that I was alone in a room while they chatted in a hallway.
The therapist came back in the room with kiddo. They had chatted and apparently formulated their plan. They think "all is well" and she just needs to "touch base" now and again. She can do a weight check with her regular doc, blah blah blah.

Are you fucking kidding me?

So we have two professionals, a school, her parents concerned but this chick who saw her for five minutes is done?

Kiss my ass.

She looked extremely satisfied though.

I mean, my trump card was just beaten down. She won.


I didn't want to discuss a lot in from of her, so I waited until we got home to call her Doctor, my husband and the therapist. (also assorted friends)

Dad was pissed, "Eff em and on to the next one."
Dr was floored. He couldn't believe the response we had. Neither could the therapist. The Dr was calling and emailing the other Dr asap. I was having surgery though and didn't know if we'd hear back before then.


A therapist in the same department called to set up treatment the following day. I told her my experience ... and she sent me a list of therapists.

I think my message was also relayed to the Doctor.

Flash forward to Christmas Eve.

I still had no voice but our Doc called and the doc had finally gotten in touch with him. Upon reflection, she realized she may have come off offensive. She thought that I may have been upset.



Uhhh really?

Yes, she does have an ED, yes she needs treatment. She's sorry if she didn't convey that properly.

Don't say things like, "two different stories" like I'm a kook.




While he was leaving a message she also left one. I'll be calling her tomorrow.

more to come ... there's a lot more.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My mouth was hanging open while reading this post. What an incredible slap in the face in the midst of all this insanity.

I don't even know what to say. I'm glad that you have a support system (both professional and personal) that are there for you. Both to help improve the situation and just to be a cushion to bounce all of these feelings off of.

Keep plugging away. You know you're doing the right thing.

-Jaime (mstr_of_domain)

Anonymous said...

This is infuriating. First your voice wasn't heard then you didn't have a voice at all...

This so-called dr is awful.

ST